Friday, May 7, 2010

Chocolate Stout Cupcakes



This is the second beer cupcake recipe that I tried, and it turned out better than the first one. The cupcakes actually dome - not sink like the former recipe. 


Although this recipe calls for Guinness, I used Sam Adams Boston Ale. I chose it by accident while I was experimenting with the Sam Adams 25th Anniversary cupcakes. I wanted to use the same beer to maintain some sort of common ground to compare the recipes, but I grabbed the ale instead of the Boston Lager. The ale added a really subtle punch to the recipe, and I would certainly make this again with the ale. But I think that I will try the stout next time, as the recipe calls for.


Also, I used the icing from the Sam Adams recipe. If you decide to use the icing from this recipe, let me know how it is!


Adapted from Big City, Little Kitchen

Cupcakes
1 cup Guinness
1 stick, plus 1 tb, unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups dark brown sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tb vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda


Combine the Guinness and the butter, chopped into 1-inch chunks, in a large sauce pan, and heat to melt the butter. Remove from heat, and whisk in the cocoa and sugar. In a bowl, whisk the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla, then add to the beer mixture. Sift together the flour and baking soda, and fold into the batter. Pour into muffin molds and bake for 25 minutes, or until inserted cake tester comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes, remove from muffin tin, and cool completely on a rack.

Icing
8 oz cream cheese
1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup milk

Using a mixer, whip cream cheese until smooth, sift in sugar, and beat. Add milk, and beat until smooth. Spread glaze over cooled cupcakes.

NOTE: To create a thinner glaze, use a tablespoon or two more milk; for a topping more akin to icing, use less milk, and perhaps more sugar. In either case, add a little sugar or milk at a time, mix, and check for desired consistency.






No comments:

Post a Comment